Friday, April 24, 2009

Our Eucharist

"But what if Jesus meant something else-something beyond the ritual? What if he was talking about our actually enacting what the ritual is all about over and over, again and again, year after year? What if the 'do this' he primarily meant wasn't the ritual he was leading his disciples through at that moment. What if the 'do this' was his whole way of life...Maybe that's what he means when he says, 'Do this in remembrance of me.' The 'do this' part is our lives. Opening ourselves up to the mystery of resurrection, open for liberation of others, allowing our bodies to be broken and our blood to be poured, discovering our Eucharist. Listening. And going."

Throughout the past year the Eucharist/Communion/Lord's supper has come to be one of my favorite rituals. There is just something about sharing the body and blood of Christ with other followers that brings an amazing sense of joy and peace to my heart. Taking part in this makes me remember and reflect on why I live my life the way I do. For so long I took this tradition for granted. I took the bread and the juice with little thought. But Christ is calling us to observe this tradition with great thought! He was even so clever as to make this meal a symbol of what we as Christ followers are supposed to be: the broken body and the spilled blood of Christ. What a beautiful picture!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment